He’s the Simon Cowell of the dance show circuit.
He’s “Dancing with the Stars” judge Bruno Tonioli and he’s come up with some commentary zingers that could rival American Idol judge Simon Cowell any day of the week.
His own dances with the stars
An Italian born dancer and professional choreographer, he knows of what he critiques. He not only judges “Dancing with the Stars” but also “Strictly Come Dancing” in the UK. He’s done choreography work in films such as Ella Enchanted and Little Voice, as well as video and show of stars like Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson and Elton John.
He even reminisced on DWTS about his days working with Elton John on his “I’m Still Standing” video when Kate Gosselin butchered her dance to that very song. Check out the scantily clad Tonioli in the “I’m Still Standing” video below – a far cry from the dapperly dressed Bruno at the judges table on DWTS.
While fellow judges Carrie Ann Inaba and Len Goodman provide good feedback to contestants and certainly don’t shy away from sometimes harsh critiques, it’s the often colorful comments from Bruno that viewers eagerly anticipate. Here are just a few “Bruno-isms”:
From earlier DWTS seasons:
- “I want more emotion, lust, love, I want you to be a dirty girl.” – to Kristi Yamaguchi
- “It was like watching a trailer for Shrek goes cha, cha, cha.” – to Penn Jillette
- “Cristian, for someone who couldn’t bang in the beginning, you’re banging now.” – to Cristian de la Fuente
From this season:
- “There was so much going on on the upper deck, it was hard to look anywhere else.” – to Niecy Nash after she shook her “jiggly parts” in her jive.
- “Two players at the top of their game! Riding the line between love and hate, burning with sexual tension.” – to Nicole Scherzinger and Derek Hough after their 29 point tango to “Pretty Woman”
- “It looked like you had your moon boots on.” – to Buzz Aldrin’s cha cha
- “I can only think of sex, sex and more sex. The dirtier the better! Stripperella is back home! Do it to me girl!” – to Pamela Anderson after her cha cha
- “Jake, you cheeky bugger! Why did you put your pants on?” – to Jake Pavelka after his “Risky Business” cha cha.
- “Erin, you kinky thing. A word of warning: it starts with a blindfold and ends up in handcuffs.” – to Erin Andrews’ waltz that she did while blindfolded
- “it looked like Tony was pushing a shopping cart around the floor.” – to Kate Gosselin after her waltz
- “You have a huge, huge, huge [long pause] talent yet untapped.” – to Chad Ochocinco’s cha cha
Speaking of Chad Ochocinco – he and professional partner Cheryl Burke will be rehearsing in Cincinnati this Thursday and Friday, though no public events are planned.
Cincinnati: Do you have a favorite “Bruno-ism”?