Spring is here and, if April showers bring May flowers, then the App Store is surely in for a deluge of spring-themed games soon enough. Until then, however, check out some of the following free games to help pass those rainy days away!
- The Simpsons Arcade Free – (Electronic Arts) Playing as Homer Simpson, the player runs through Springfield on the wild chase for one of Homer’s infamous donuts. The free version only allows the player to get through the first level, but can be replayed many times over. Sound effects and characters from the television cartoon are used throughout the game. Users are raving about this game’s on-screen controls! The joystick plays true and the buttons respond in a fast enough manner to make the player forget they’re using an iPhone (or iPod touch). Go to the App Store.
- Superstar Chefs – (Donut Games) Formerly sold for $0.99, this self-described “jump & stomp” game will bring back memories of Super Mario and Sonic from yesteryear. Players must race through 64 different levels to help the chefs find their missing recipes! The game features three different ways to control it, which the player can change at any time. The game is free for a “limited time only,” so grab it now before the price goes back up! Go to the App Store.
- We Rule – (ngmoco) Farmville meets Sim City meets Facebook. Using the Plus+ social gaming network to link up with others, players will build towns, raise crops, and sell their items to neighboring towns. The graphics and play are very similar to the aforementioned Farmville and looks great on the iPhone’s screen. A network connection is required to use the game’s social aspects and other features, so keep that in mind when downloading and playing. Go to the App Store.
- Zombie Farm – (Playforge, Vicente McDonnell) Speaking of Farmville, here’s a game for the horror fans addicted to the Facebook-based game. Players get to build their own farm as well as raise an army of zombies to help on the farm (talk about low-maitanence help). Players can upgrade their farms with additional features as the game goes along as well as publish their results to and invite friends from Facebook. Go to the App Store.
- Tap Store by Streetview – (Streetview Labs) Nobody likes to work, but everybody seems to love to run their own store. This game allows players to run their own clothing store full of custom designed clothes. More sells allow players to expand their business. Controls are as simple as tapping around on the screen. The game’s a great little thing to keep someone occupied for long periods at a time. Go to the App Store.
Check back again next week for another list of the top five free games for your iPhone!