Should I date? It’s a question many single Christians pray about, fast about and even debate about. The answer to this question cannot be dogmatic, because it is a matter of personal conviction. For some the answer is yes, for others the answer is no. However, a definite answer for all single Christians is, whatever you choose to do, do it as unto the Lord!
While the Bible may not give a step-by-step guide to dating, the scriptures are clear about how God expects His children to conduct themselves. “But as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:15-16)
If you do choose to date, here are some important Biblical guidelines to follow:
1. Avoid late night dates./ Your inhibitions can be greatly reduced the later it gets.
“Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41)
2. Avoid isolated locations./Temptation to commit sexual sin increases in these situations.
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God.” (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5)
3. Do not date unbelievers./ Intimate fellowship with those who do not share your Christian faith can put you in danger of falling away.
” Bad company corrupts good character.” (1 Corinthians 15:33)
4. Be mindful of where you go on a date./ Don’t go anywhere you wouldn’t want Jesus to go!
“Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers.” (Psalm 1:1)
5. Check your attire./ It may be the latest fashion, but if it’s too tight, too short, or too revealing… it’s not the outfit for you!
“Women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing.” (1 Timothy 2:9)
“Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5)
6. Be selective and avoid recreational dating./ Serious emotional attachments can easily occur when spending one on one time with someone.
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)
7. Pray for God’s direction.
“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests…” (Ephesians 6:18)
For a list of fun places to visit in Metro Detroit click here.