- An oily scalp will prevent hair from growing in naturally, which may choke out hair follicles resulting in thinning hair and excessive hair loss.
- A dry scalp can be tight around the hair shaft root and make the hair weak, coarse and brittle resulting in thinning hair, breakage and hair loss.
- Hair is a body’s waste product therefore supplements, vitamins and balanced nutrition play a crucial role.
CAUSES OF EXCESSIVE HAIR LOSS
Medical conditions that may be responsible for hair loss:
- Poor blood circulation may manifest at the top of the head first because of gravity.
- DHT production (a metabolite of testosterone) that may contribute to an enlarged prostate and have hair loss as a symptom.
- Too much intake of Vitamin A.
- Overactive thyroid gland may imbalance androgens and estrogen hormones (saliva testing is far superior to urine testing in measuring and monitoring hormone levels).
Grooming that may be responsible for hair loss:
- Alkaline shampoos, chemicals, hair dyes, perms and bleaching irritate the scalp and the hair follicles.
- Hot oil treatments may radiate too deep and cause tissue and hair follicle damage.
- Alcohol-based hairsprays and hair gels may dry out the scalp and the hair follicles.
- Tight braiding and weaving may cut off blood circulation that feeds the hair follicles.
WAYS TO STOP BALDNESS AND HOW TO INCREASE HAIR TO THE SCALP
Doctor Prescribed Medications:
A Doctor may recommend a medication that can block hormones responsible for hair loss, however, blocking hormones may have other side effects like the lowering of the libido which may open pandora’s box for more medications and other side effects.
Low Level Light Restoration Therapies:
Low level light therapy is a laser that can increase scalp circulation and oxygen to the hair follicles; several treatments are required and are time consuming as one has to sit through the process, the entire treatment series may end up being costly as the laser treatments are not covered by Toronto’s Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP).
Surgical Hair Replacement:
Hair transplants may be painful and they are expensive. Transplants or plugs require the transfer of healthy hair follicles from the back of the head to the top balding areas. Not all hair follicles will be successful and there will be a large horizontal permanent scar hidden in the back of the head (the donor area), therefore, in essence, there will be less hair on the scalp after the hair transplant procedure but the hair will be more spread out in a way that specific bald spots are not as visible.
Hairpiece Cover-Up Solutions:
A ‘hair-system’ (as advertised on late night television commercials) is another way of refering to a hairpiece, toupee or custom wig. There are several places in the GTA where an individual can have a consultation in order to receive these custom made items. However, hairpieces are expensive and if one chooses to have one made with real hair, the hair will match the existing hair but it will not be from one’s own person, the hair will be form another anonymous donor. The synthetic hair version is less expensive but may also be highly flammable with a not so realistic appearance (referred to as the ‘doll head’ look).
Although a successful custom hairpiece fit will not be readily recognized as such once it is weaved into the existing hair, the grid on the scalp may be detected at close contact. As the hair begins to grow the weave will loosen so the hairpiece becomes a high maintenance item that will require frequent costly visits to adjust it with every haircut. Hairpieces may even contribute to more hair loss in the areas that they are adhered to thus widening the covered balding area and another hairpiece may be required in the future as a result.
Restoring Balance: “..an integrative approach that combines some natural therapies or bio-available hormones is the ideal way to go.” Sourced: A. Nasri HD, BPCT, CBFT Toronto Wellness Journal
INCREASE HAIR NATURALLY (read more)