Yesterday, I wrote about the movie “Ghost Player” that will be shown during the Wisconsin Film Festival on April 15th. Complete article here.
Before seeing the movie in April, you should do some “homework.” Spring break is coming up, and if you don’t have anything planned yet, here’s a step-by-step plan for a family field trip.
- Step 1: “If you rent it, they will come.” Obtain the movie “Field of Dreams.” Watch and enjoy the movie as a family. Do a little research together on Shoeless Joe Jackson.
- Step 2: “People will come,” and so should you and your family. Plan a trip to the Field of Dreams movie site, located in Dyersville, IA. Dyersville is an easy 2 hour drive, or 115 miles, from downtown Madison. Located 20 miles west of Dubuque, it is a small burg of 4,000 people.
- Step 3: As the movie says, “Go the distance.” Set aside a date and enjoy the drive. The Field of Dreams is open daily from 9 am to 6 pm, during the months of April through November. Take your baseballs, gloves and bats and “have a catch with Dad” on the famous infield. Sit on the same bleachers as Kevin Costner and company. View the farmhouse used in the movie – from afar, that is – there’s no organized tours. And, of course, walk in the corn just like the ghost players. Souvenirs are available for purchase. Free admission.
- Step 4: There are many other points of interest in Dyersville:
- The National Farm Toy Museum: Two floors of farm toys are on display in this incredible museum.
- Dyer-Botsford Historical House & Doll Museum was the home of Dyersville’s founder and holds a collection of over 2,000 dolls.
Basilica of St. Francis Xavier: One of 53 Basilicas in the United States, and “one of the finest
examples of true medieval Gothic architecture in the Midwest.”
- Step 5: NEWS FLASH: The Ghost Players (the same ones that are in the Ghost Player movie) will be playing a game against the US Military All Stars on July 18th. Patriot Night at the Ball Park.will be held at the Dyervsville Commercial Club Park on Jenk Field. This event will be a night to remember for the entire family. Stay tuned here for more information here.
- Have a magical trip to the Field!
Happy weekend, Madison!
To receive future articles by Deborah Nies, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Your e-mail address will not be shared with anyone else.