The Grand Rapids Weather Examiner presents the second in a series from the National Weather Service (NWS) on Severe Weather Preparedness.
The week of April 11 through 17 is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Michigan. Each day this week, the National Weather Service in conjunction with the Michigan Committee for Severe Weather Awareness will issue public information statements about the hazards of severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, and flooding.
- Sunday – Recap of 2009 and general tornado information
- Monday – Severe weather terminology.
- Tuesday – We will discuss the statewide test tornado drill scheduled for Wednesday April 14th.
- Wednesday – Tornado safety rules.
- Thursday – Flash flood/flood safety rules.
- Friday – Thunderstorm and lightning safety rules.
- Saturday – Discussion on the hazardous weather outlook…the short term forecast…special weather statements…and NOAA weather radio all hazards.
Today we discuss some terms you may hear associated with severe weather. On April 1st 2009, the criterion for severe hail changed from 3/4 of an inch in diameter to 1 inch in diameter. For more information on this change please contact your local national weather service office.
Clicking each of the terms below will connect you with the definition of that item.
- Funnel Cloud
- Severe Thunderstorm
- Flash Flood
- Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Tornado Warning
- Flash Flood or Flood Watch
- Flash Flood or Flood Warning
On Tuesday we will discuss the upcoming severe weather drills scheduled for Wednesday, April 14th.
For more information, contact the nearest national weather service office, or your local emergency management agency.
For more info: 2010 Michigan Severe Weather Awareness
Get the latest from the Grand Rapids Weather Examiner
Grand Rapids Weather Examiner Facebook Page Grand Rapids Weather Examiner on Twitter
Or be notified by email when a new article from the Grand Rapids Weather Examiner is posted.
Click the Subscribe to Email link at the top or bottom of the article and enter your email address.