When we lack physical safety and emotional stability, it’s impossible to concentrate or focus on anything else.
In ancient times, it was unthinkable to have a city without walls. In the Bible, the book of Nehemiah talks about Jerusalem being a city without any walls. As a result, everyone living there was vulnerable to raids and physical attacks, as well as, all kinds of harassment and emotional attacks. The citizens of Jerusalem were physically unsafe and emotionally unstable. Ezra and Nehemiah were chosen by God to lead the people into safety and stability.
Times really haven’t changed. Current times are still like ancient times. Walls, literally and figuratively, are important boundaries that protect and shelter us from destructive intruders. When we don’t have boundaries, other people control us. When we don’t have boundaries, we try to control other people. Without boundaries our identity becomes confused with the identities of the people around us and we never learn who we really are.
When we don’t have boundaries, we’re outside of God’s plan. And when we’re outside of God’s plan, we’re in bondage. We think we’re free when we’re able to do anything we want, but when we live with this type of attitude we become slaves to the stuff and things of this world. However, when we live within the boundaries of God’s plan we experience a freedom that brings us a joy that most people never get to experience in their lifetime. God wants us to be free and to love Him; the world wants us to be in bondage and to love it.
· God wants us to enjoy life within His boundaries; the world has no boundaries and wants us to over-indulge.
· God wants us to be diligent in our work and prosper; the world wants us to be workaholics so it can prosper.
· God wants us to rest; the world wants us to be lazy.
· God wants us to eat; the world wants us to be gluttons.
· God wants us to enjoy sex in marriage; the world wants us to have sex.
· God wants us to be beautiful on the inside; the world rejects us unless we’re beautiful on the outside.
The world or the universe, whatever you prefer to call it, doesn’t care about you. God cares more for you than the world, the universe, or anyone living in it. Don’t be a city without any walls, become the person God created you to be and start rebuilding YOU. Start by reading and beginning to understand the ten laws to live by when building relationships.