The man who was the intended victim of the shooting in Old Montreal appeared in a Montreal court Saturday.
Ducarme Joseph appeared via video link.
The forty-one year-old made a short appearance. He was formally accused of breaching bail conditions related to a previous assault charge and being in possession of a silencer.
His bail hearing is scheduled for Monday.
Police say Ducarme managed to escape Thursaday’s shootout unharmed through the back door of his store.
He was arrested for allegedly associating with two men that he had been prohibited from having contact with.
One of them men killed was Joseph’s bodyguard, 27 year-old Peter Christopolous.
The other appears to have been an innocent bystander; and electrician who happened to be doing work in Joseph’s store at the time.
Two other people, aged 29 and 31, were seriously injured during the shooting, though their injuries are not life-threatening.
Montreal police now say they believe the shooting was a professional hit in response to the December murder of Nick Rizutto Jr., the son of the reputed head of Montreal mafia, Victor Rizutto.
“It appears to be a settling of accounts case, It seems like something linked to organized crime.” said Montreal police spokesperson Anie Lemieux.
A former homicide detective with the provincial police says the shooting has all the markings of a revenge killing.
“They had to show revenge, if they want to show they still have strength.” said John Galianos,
“They’re not just going to lie down, and let people step on them, it’s a group of honor, men of honor, they’re not going take it to the court, they’ll settle it their way.”