For the Samsung Mobile 500, the buzz went to Tony Stewart as he prepares for his 400th NASCAR Sprint Cup start from the pole position. It is the first time Stewart has taken the pole award at Texas in a NASCAR event and only the 11th pole start in his NASCAR career. His last start on point came in 2005 at Martinsville.
Rounding out the top five are Sam Hornish, Greg Biffle, Jimmie Johnson (El Cajon), and Kasey Kahne. The irony is that Hornish will start one spot ahead of Johnson, if Stewart starts on the inside. Even Johnson could not help but make a comment about the fact that the one who wrecked him during the Chase and at the very same track is poised to start just ahead of him in Sunday’s race.
Other California Sprint Cup starting spots:
- AJ Allmendinger (Los Gatos) – 17th
- Kevin Harvick (Bakersfield) – 18th
- Scott Speed (Manteca) – 23rd
- David Gilliland (Riverside) – 31st
- Robby Gordon (Orange) – 38th
NASCAR Nationwide Series
Joey Logano took the pole position for the O’Reilly 300 at Texas. Clint Bowyer, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. – who is working with a new crew chief this weekend – round out the top five qualifiers.
California Nationwide drivers:
- Jason Leffler (Long Beach) – 6th
- Kevin Harvick (Bakersfield) – 16th
- David Gilliland (Riverside) – 24th
- Justin Lofton (Westmorland) – 31st
For more information on Southern California Motorsports, check out:
- Cali Cup drivers lead the field at PIR, but not those who would be expected
- Kevn Harvick has strong run at PIR despite Kyle Busch dramas
- Jimmie Johnson Foundation 100 features Southern California drivers as leaders
Janelle Jalbert is a fan of a variety of racing formats and equally enjoys the history of the sport. Janelle grew up in an auto mechanic’s family and swears that there is carb spray running through her veins.
You can join the discussion of So Cal Motorsports at the Southern California Motorsports Examiner page on Facebook. Janelle can be reached via email for both comments and story ideas. You can follow Janelle as the Southern California Motorsports Examiner on Twitter as @SoCalMotorsport.
Janelle also serves as the NASCAR Truck Series Examiner. Feel free to join the discussion about the hard racing in the CWTS at the NASCAR Truck Series Examiner fan page on Facebook.