Frankincense was used as the holy incense of Exodus by Aaron
by Rhonda Kuykendall-Jabari
This article is part of a series, Essential Oils: God’s Original Medicine.
Frankincense (olibanum, boswellia carteri) essential oil has a woody, spicy scent that is very calming and relaxing.
In his book Medicine in the Bible and the Talmud, Fred Rosner writes, “The value of alcohol as an anesthetic is described in the Babylonian Talmud, where we find the following ruling: When one is led out to execution, he is given a goblet of wine containing a grain of frankincense to benumb his senses, for it is written: ‘Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish and wine wine unto the bitter in soul.’ [Prov. 31:6] (Sanhedrin 43a)”
‘It is mentioned in the following Scriptures (among others) in the King James Study Bible:
- Exodus 30:34 (the anointing oil and the incense) – And the Lord said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight.
- Leviticus 2:1 (the law of meat offerings) – And when any will offer a meat offering unto the Lord his offering shall be of fine flour; and he shall pour oil upon it, and put frankincense thereon.
- Leviticus 2:15 (the law of meat offerings) – And thou shalt put oil upon it, and lay frankincense thereon; it is a meat offering.
- Leviticus 2:16 (the law of meat offerings) – And the priest shall burn the memorial of it, part of the beaten corn thereof, and part of the oil thereof, with all the frankincense thereof: it is an offering made by fire unto the Lord.
- Leviticus 5:11(laws made for the congregation) – But if he be not able to bring two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, then he that sinned shall bring for his offering the tenth part of an aphah of fine flour for a sin offering: he shall put no oil upon it, neither shall he put any frankincense thereon: for it is a sin offering.
- Leviticus 6:15 (the law of the offerings) – And he shall take of it his handful, of the flour of the meat offering, and of the oil thereof, and all the frankincense which is upon the meat offering, and shall burn it upon the altar for a sweet savor even the memorial of it, unto the Lord.
- Leviticus 24:7 (the showbread) – And thou shalt put pure frankincense upon each row that it may be on the bread for a memorial, even an offering made by fire unto the Lord.
Frankincense is used in natural remedies to overcome stress, strengthen connection to spirit, ease minor aches and pains, clear the lungs and as a skin tonic.
Click here to purchase frankincense essential oil or the Twelve Essential Oils of Ancient Scripture Kit. Call Toi Beaman Leal in Los Angeles at (310) 729-5386 for a personal consultation or aromatherapy massage with healing essential oils.
Your comments are welcome below. Use the Subscribe button at the top for email notifications of updates to this column.