In the desert, many people are already married. However, there are newlyweds circulating out here as well! It’s nice to impart some words of guidance for those who are newly married
or about to be married under our beautiful blue skies.
Here are five tips for newlyweds to create the foundation for a lasting marriage:
- Get used to and enjoy married life! Even if you were living together before you were married, some things will change after saying “I do”. Finances will merge since according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 51.4% of marriages consist of dual income earners. You’ll discuss whose healthcare insurance to use, the tax preparation method and bank, credit cards, credit scores and debt, filing paperwork to change the “Mrs.” name if she so chooses, auto and home insurance needs, which toothpaste is best, and what type of milk, bread, snacks, cable package and soap to buy, to name just a few things. Enjoy getting to know your partner as your partner, not a roommate, when it comes to cleaning habits, sharing responsibilities and roles.
- Understand what you each expect from each other within your new role. There will be expectations of each person and also of your self as husband and wife, husband and husband or wife and wife. Discuss what you expect, what’s realistic and what’s reasonable. This will save a lot of unnecessary bickering or disagreeing down the road.
- Don’t forget about sex. This sounds a bit odd during your newly married life but in reality, it is a common stress point for newlyweds. How much is too much versus too little? You’re with this person under the same roof and in the same bed night after night. This should be part of your discussion in the previous point but in the event it wasn’t, it needs to be discussed along with the best birth control methods now that you are married and may be considering a family. This leads to the next tip.
- Do not rush into having a baby. You are busy working through items 1-3 and this would add another layer of stress into the relationship as you’re sorting things out.
- Talk openly, often and hold hands when you’re together. The gentle touch of your beloved will make all of these items easier to discuss and work through as you embark on a life-long journey built on your love for each other.
How well you work through the first few years of marriage will be a good later on.
Cheers to a happy marriage!