First I had to catch up on daily events around Stone Brewing’s Stone Beer Week Chicago. And after actually going to one of those events, I fell behind in my updates the next day. Now the Brewers Association’s Craft Brewers Conference is in town (April 7-10). While the event is industry-only, there are about a hundred affiliated beer tasting, dinners and pub crawls that are open to the public. To keep the information flowing, this week’s events are being posted on a day-to-day basis, and Tuesday’s calendar will include remaining Stone Beer Week dates. It’s the best week ever for a Chicago beer lover!
As far as I can learn, all events listed are open to the public. Some may have an extra cover charge, but most events simply involve having rare or interesting beers on tap.
Monday, April 5
The Map Room, 1949 N. Hoyne Ave., Chicago (773) 252-7636
5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Meet the Brewer: Hedwig Neven Brewmaster, Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat, Belgium. Come and meet the brewmaster of Duvel and sample some of his magnificent beers.
The Publican, 845 W. Fulton Market, Chicago (312) 733-9555
5:30 – 10:30 p.m.
Two Brothers + Publican Beer Dinner
Two Brothers and the Publican have collaborated to bring yet another great beer dinner and the birth of a new collaborative brew. Jason Ebel, brewmaster of Two Brothers will be on hand to drink, masticate and schmooze. The yet un-named collaborative sour mash beer created between restaurant and brewery will debut along with Publican’s menu created to pair with the fare. The price of food is $55, beer will be $20. Reservations are encouraged.
HopLeaf, 5148 N. Clark St., Chicago (773) 334-9851
Avery & Lost Abbey Beer Dinner
Upstairs at Hopleaf ~ six courses designed by Chef Ben Sheagren paired with the beers of Lost Abbey and Avery. Brewmasters Tomme Arthur and Adam Avery will be in attendance. $80 per person. Seating is limited! Tickets are available at BrownPaperTickets.com. A rare opportunity to enjoy some of the rarest, most sought after beers from both brewers, thoughtfully prepared with a menu designed by Hopleaf Chef Ben Sheagren. Adam Avery and Tomme Arthur will be hosting the evening as we present their most extraordinary fermented offerings. All six courses will be paired with a beer from each brewery, including such rarities as:
- Lost Abbey Bourbon Aged Angel’s Share: The bourbon barrel aged version of the Belgian-inspired Strong Ale
- Avery Black Tot: Imperial oatmeal stout aged in rum barrels
- Lost Abbey Veritas 007: Sour ale aged in red wine barrels with Cab Franc grapes added
- Avery Brabant: A wild fermented ale aged in Zinfandel barrels
- Lost Abbey Red Poppy 2010: Belgian-inspired Bruin aged for 6 months in oak barrels with sour cherries added
- Avery Sui Generis: A Sour Ale blend of 10 different beers from 4 different kinds of wood
- Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze: Tomme Arthur’s version of a Belgian Gueuze, with a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old wild fermented beer and more.
Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave., Chicago (773) 276-9730
Goose Island Pepe Nero Tasting
Come on out and try a brand new brew from the Goose! Pepe Nero (March 2010) A black Belgian style farmhouse ale, brewed with black peppercorns. Alcohol by Volume: 6% International Bitterness Units: 30 Preferred Glass: Snifter Availability: Limited Release. A rep. from the Brewery will be on hand at 9:00 p.m. to discuss this new brew. Cost: Free.
Local Option, 1102 W. Webster Ave., Chicago, (773) 348-2008
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Vertical
2008-2010 DRAFT vertical of Sierra Nevada’s Bigfoot Barley Wine.
April 5 – 10
Shelton Brothers Rare Beers on Tap
Shelton Brothers Import Company provides these extremely rare beers on draft:
- Amager Hr. Frederiksen (Denmark)
- Cantillon (Belgium): Rose de Gambrinus, Lou Pepe Pure Kriek, Gueze, Vigneronne, St. Lamvinus
- De Ranke (Belgium): XX Bitter, HOP Flower Power (750 Ml Bottle)
- Dieu du Ciel (Montréal): Pénombre, Aphrodite (Aphrodisiaque), Corne du Diable, Rigor Mortis, Peche Mortel
- Haandbryggeriet (Norway) Dark Force
- Jolly Pumpkin (Michigan): Bam Biere, Bam Noire, E.S. Bam, Oro de Calabaza
- Mikkeller (Denmark): 1000 IBU, Hoppy Easter, Y Pale Ale, Single Hop series IPAs: Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, East Kent Golding, Nelson Sauvin, Nugget, Simcoe, Tomahawk, and Warrior.
- Nøgne Ø Porter (Norway)
- Ridgeway Ivanhoe Pale Ale (U.K.)
No set draft order so make sure you stop by a couple times during the week as the line-up will be changing daily! Other goodies that might make it on draft during the week:
- Bell’s Hopslam (MI)
- Dark Horse (MI): Fore Smoked Stout, Double Crooked Tree IPA
- Einbecker Mai-Ur-Bock (Germany)
- Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (MI)
- Great Divide (CO): Hercules Double IPA, Old Ruffian, Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
- Hitachino Nest White Ale (Japan)
- Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier (Germany)
- Southern Tier (NY) Oak Aged Un*Earthly, Gemini
- Three Floyds Topless Wytch
Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery, 1035 Sterling Ave., Flossmoor, IL (708) 957-BREW
Craft Brewers Conference Tap
For the week of April 5-10, Flossmoor Station features a select tap line dedicated to beers saved for just such an occasion. You absolutely cannot miss some of these beers, as this may be the last time you will ever see them again! Today’s beer: The Turk Belgian saison.
My Facebook page.