The 20th Annual SunTrust Sunday Jazz is an ideal way to relax and enjoy Fort Lauderdale’s scenic Riverwalk. At the Esplanade Park, listen to the soulful sounds on four different stages on the first Sunday of each month from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. On May 2nd, Jazz Brunch will be extended until 4 p.m. to celebrate its Twentieth Anniversary!
Here are 8 reasons to attend Sunday Jazz Brunch:
1. It’s a tradition. Traditions hold us together. According to the City of Ft. Lauderdale’s official website, the Riverwalk in Las Olas has been holding a “jazz brunch” the first Sunday of every month for 20 years. And we love traditions—because they are a connection to our past and give us a sense of security about the uncertainties of our future.
2. The Brunch is Free. Traditions don’t have to be fancy or costly. Sunday Jazz Brunch is free. As in: you don’t pay a dime. F-R-E-E. For everyone.
3. It’s on the Riverwalk, which goes along the river for 1.5 miles through the Docks and Waterways, Las Olas Riverfront, Florida Grand Opera and Esplanade Park. Enjoy live music while strolling along the historic brick-lined walkway, among the palms and bougainvillea, and watch the iguanas skitter off the loading docks. You might also choose to simply bring chairs, blankets and picnic baskets and relax on the grass.
4. Live concert. The best local jazz artists are brought to four different stages. The following groups will be performing on May 2nd: Juanita Dixon, Jeff Prine and The New York Horns, Mantra, Porcelain Quartet, and Nucklebusters Quintet. Allow the sounds to reach and fill the space inside of you.
5. You can kick back and cool out. Jazz music is about the power of now. The Sunday Jazz Brunch is the perfect way to shift gears from one week to the next in a neat jazzy way.
6. Dogs are welcome. Your pet is undoubtedly an important member of your family. If Fido is well-behaved and on a leash, bring him along.
7. Food à gogo. If you don’t want to pack a picnic basket, you can enjoy food from area restaurants. One option is the Briny Riverfront Pub, which turns into a bar at night with its full liquor bar. Hai fame? There’s Kitchenetta. If you want seafood or local cuisine, try Coconuts.
8. You can walk to Las Olas Outdoor Gourmet Market, try free samples and purchase farm-grown fruits and vegetables, freshly baked breads and pastries (world’s best rugelach), ceviche, local honey and pollen products, tropical jams, beautiful orchids, plants and fresh cut flowers. Every Sunday 9am to 2pm.
Bring: Lawn chair or blanket. Lunch (including beverage) or money to buy from restaurants or vendors. Water for the walk. Sunscreen. Hat. Sunglasses. Snacks. Insect repellent. Money for parking and purchases at the outdoor market.
The SunTrust Sunday Jazz Brunch is sponsored by Sun-Trust and is produced by the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Parks and Recreation Department. For more information, please call the Special Events Hotline at (954) 828-5363 or visit www.fortlauderdale.gov.